1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing Add/Remove Programs Entries?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EllisDTrails, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EllisDTrails

EllisDTrails Thread Starter

Hello all, I recently went into my regestry and following some instructions on the internet, tried to remove some useless entries from Add or Remove Programs. Well, I've had a couple of problems, because for some of the entries I did not delete the folder, just the display name. After I realized that the entries were still there, I went back into my registry to find the folders and delete them, but no cigar. None of the folders are named after the program and none of the folders have a display name or something that might indicate that the program strings are there. Any help? Thanks

2. EllisDTrails

Anyone ever encounter this kind of problem before? Thanks.

3. rude

rude

Is this where you went?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

4. EllisDTrails

Thanks for the reply, rude. Yes, I went to that part of the registry, but instead of deleting the folder as a whole, I just used "search" , put in the name of the application, and it showed up, so I just ended up deleting the "displayname" string of the folder. I tried to go back to delete the folders, but still, some of the programs I deleted from the registry show up on Add or Remove Programs. Any suggestions? Thanks

5. EllisDTrails

It's been awhile since my reply. Any ideas? Thanks

6. rude

rude

Do you have a Restore Point from before you did the Registry deletions?

7. EllisDTrails

No, I don't. So I guess its pretty much screwed then?

8. rude

rude

9. EllisDTrails

Thanks, rude. However, if I perform a repair installion of Windows XP, will I lose any data on my computer? Will it repair the registry strings, and not anything else? Thanks

10. rude

rude

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!