Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Removing Admin rights from a user account

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bgeklund 
#1 ·
OK, So here's my situation. My step son downloaded a bunch of virus' which hosed my computer. I just finished realoading windows and all my software and now I'm going through and removing things from his start menu so he only has access to limited programs, he's 9 and he doesn't know to go into the c:/program files to get anything. I was in his standard user account moving stuff so it would only show up on my login. So when it came up and asked for an administrator password I typed in my password and did what I had to do. The only problem is now he still has access to those things that I authorized. I can now go into his account and access my documents. I would think you would have to put in the administrator password every time but obviously that's not the case. How do I reset that so he no longer has access to that stuff?

#2 ·
I assume that you were working from within his account in moving the shortcuts, and gave the password to let you access folders in your account. The result is that the file permissions on those folders have changed to let him in whenever he wants. If this is correct, you should be able to reset the permissions on each of those folders using this article in the Techguy Library of Knowledge:
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/File_Permissions

By the way if you have Windows 7, you may be able to use the Windows Parental Controls to help keep him out of mischief.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/parental-controls

#3 ·
Perfect, thank you very much. I tried using windows parental control before and the problem with that is any programs you block that may start in the background when you login gives you an error message, so you can have 10, 20, 30 error messages when logging in due to blocked programs. I've found it's just easier in the long run to do it this way. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.