1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing Bootleg XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bill P, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

At work there is a computer that had ME on it and it had a lot of problems. So a guy brought in an XP disk and loaded it. He tried to register it but it had been registered before. Well it has died, and we can't get it to do any thing. We can get it to boot to safe mode but can't it won't do anything when you get there. Tried changeing boot sequence and putting in the ME disk and that didn't work either. What can be done to get XP off. Help please.

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi

Use a Windows 98 floppy boot disk to boot and run FDISK deleting all partitions, or download and run the utility DELPART

http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

THis can be used to wipe everything from the hard disk. You then need to start again from fresh using a Windows ME boot disk

http://www.bootdisk.com

run the downloaded file to create ME boot floppy disk

Boot to A:/ prompt CD to change to CDROM drive and type setup.

hth

Ceri

3. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

It won't do anything. There is no way to download anything.

4. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Download the files to a different computer, such as the one you are currently using.

Copy / create floppy disks and then use in the dead machine.

Ceri

5. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

It won't do anything.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Exactly what is it doing and what messages are you getting? . . Does it POST?

Can you get into BIOS?

7. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

A window will pop up telling you to register,and of course it can't be. So the only choice is shut down. Tried booting to safe mode ,but the choices won't move using the arrows.

8. viperben1

viperben1

Look Here!!

hi this problem has occured because you have installed a version of windows xp that needs registering. it isnt bootleged it just needs its owbn registration code to work. microsoft have been very nice and made it so every code can only be used once.

when you installed winxpo you must have placed the cd in and booted from it. then installed winxp formatting the harddrive in NTFS. this file system doesnt work in winME or win98 and therefore there system boot disks and there install cds wont work

what you have to do is somewho create a bootdisk on another pc. if the pc is winxp go to my computer and right click on the a: and select format. then select the option to create a system disk. this creates a boot disk and when you insert this in the dead pc and boot from floppy you sould get a msdos prompt. but if you type c: it will say something along the lines of invalid.

all you have to do then is type in the a: 'fdisk' this will open a small program in msdos and you will tel it to delete a non dos partition. it will only find a non dos partition. just delete it. this bit is fairly simple. then create a primary dos partition. this will happen and the computer may need to restart. then boot with floppy again and type 'format c:' this will then ask you to press y and then will format your c:. when this is done it will ask you for a partition name and then your hard drive it done and you can install any opperating system on it again.

all you need for that winxp disk is another cd key!

hope this helps if not please email me on [email protected]

thanks and good luck

9. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. I'm going to let him fix his foulup. I will give him the info.Thank you again.

10. viperben1

viperben1

pleasure

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good thinking!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice