1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing files and apps makes less disk space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kevinator, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Please help me. I have searched this and other forums, but I am still desperate and frustrated to no end. My XP root drive keeps losing space to the point of completely running out. I have spent the last 3 days deleting files and removing applications. The weird thing is, the more I remove and delete, the less space I have on my hard drive. For example, I stayed up until 3:00 AM last night and was able to free up 2 GB of space out of 80 GB (for the third time). When I woke up this morning there was 0 space on the hard drive (for the third time). I guess if I want to gain hard drive space I'll need to add files and apps instead of removing them. I have scoured the internet and tried everything I can think of.

Here are some things I have done:

- Deleted everything available using Windows disk cleanup
    - Compressed old files using Windows disk cleanup
    - Turned off and deleted system restore points
    - Deleted many files
    - Removed many programs
    - Changed web browser cache locations to the secondary hard drive
    - Turned off the internet connection so applications can't auto update
    - Deleted the uninstall files in the Windows folder (the ones that start and end with “$”)
    - Scanned for viruses with Norton

My computer just barely runs right now. When there is this little amount of space, I click something, then wait 5 or 10 minutes for the click to take effect. There are also many things I am unable to do, such as back up the hard drive to an external drive, and remove large programs. I am afraid to restart the computer for fear of it not being able to boot up. If this is technology, I want to be a caveman. I am going 2 steps forward and 4 steps back.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas.
    Thank you,
    Kevin
    :confused:
    PS. Yes, I have service pack 3.

2. TekTime

TekTime

I could be wrong, but you could have some type of infection which is causing this problem. I know that Norton is not very effective in actually detecting many of the malware threats that currently exist.

Try doing a FULL scan with Malwarebytes after installing and updating it (if you haven't yet)

3. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

TekTime, thank you very much for responding. However with 0 space on my hard drive I cannot install programs and I cannot back it up. I am looking for a good free portable antivirus program to run from my flash drive. Malwarebytes does not have a portable version at this time. If you know of a good one I am definitely open for suggestions.

Thanks again.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you run Disk Cleanup? Pay attention to the second page. Many applications create a new restore point when being uninstalled thus using more disk space. Delete all but the last restore point on that second page.

You can get an enhanced Disk Cleanup with more option from this command line:

cleanmgr /sageset:99

It will also remember your settings and if you want to run it again with the same settings, just use:

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

But, this problem will not go away. You need to get a larger drive. Defrag needs 15% free space and burning DVD's with Windows burner needs at least 4.3 GB's for a single-layer DVD. Other temp processes need even more. I replace drives when they pass 50%.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!