1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing ghost 9 nightmare

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bruce I., Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

I'm suffering ghost 9 uninstall. It wanted to install when I opened sysworks 04, it was working fine before I upgraded from win 2k to xp to sp2. Had to completely and painfully reinstall nsw 04, nis 04 and only got bits and pieces of ghost 9 off, it still won't come off, won't remove in add/remove progs., used the install command from symantec but no go... its not in my program folders

I finally got nsw, nis working again but can't get this [email protected]# off my system.

I also can't afford to reinstall my os from scratch, takes too long to get all my photo stuff up to snuff

I need help....

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

This is typical of the problems that installing XP over the top of an existing O/S, versus a clean install. You will have to balance your willingness to put up with these kinds of issues and the effort to perform the clean install.

System Works causes more problems with XP than it cures . .

Symantec website has some tools to aid the removal of their products that might help your immediate problem.

Good luck . . wrs

3. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

tried their ghost 9 tool, no go....

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I can sympathize! Semantec requires the use of THEIR removal procedures, and once there is a problem it is virtually impossible to overcome, as noted previously. There may be detailed instructions on S's site that involve messing with the registry. I was not up to that, so I had to scrap my system and start over just recently. I used one of their "tools," too, to no avail. I believe the timing is critical. {redoak}

5. Bruce I.

Bruce I. Thread Starter

So I imaged back my win2k setup and upgraded to xp after taking off nsw and ghost. After I was done with updates I put nsw05 with ghost back on, everything is ok now. I'm going to slowly load up a new drive with a clean xp install and have my bases covered.

Yep, when nortons good its good when its bad its very, very bad !

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice