1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Removing Gmail access

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Deluge, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Sysinfo is not applicable.
    I have two PCs running Widows 10. I want to dispose of both PCs which I have used for emailing etc. I used Gmail and I want to ensure the next person cannot access them by removing access to my account. How do I safely do this?

2. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

I should have said I want to retain my Gmail account for use on another PC. Sorry.

3. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    Gmail is a hosted email solution, meaning nearly all data is stored in the cloud. The best way to revoke access would be to go to your Google Account and select 'Security'. (or follow this link: https://myaccount.google.com/security)

on that page select "2-step verification" and make sure it is setup. Then at the bottom of that page where it says "Devices you trust" click "REVOKE ALL" this will then force you to use 2FA on all device until you tell google to trust them again. Then follow this link:

https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity?utm_source=google-account&utm_medium=web

This will show all of the locations where you are signed in. cick the dots in the top right of each device box you wish t sign out from. Click 'sign out' will force whoever opens gmail on that device to have to reauthenticate to gain access to your mail.

There may be some data stored in your local cache which could be retrieved so for each of the browsers installed on the PC, you will need to clear those.

However, there is a much better way to secure your gmail account on that device and any other data you may have on the disks. If you use windows 10 to "ceate a recovery drive" from the control panel on a USB stick for example, you can then reboot into a cmd shell that is hosted on the USB and not the drive. From here you can enter the following command to completely wipe the disk and make any data on it completely unrecoverable: (NOTE: this will render the PC completely useless and the drive will need to be reformatted and windows reinstalled for whoever you give the PC to to be able to use)

Code:
    Format C: /P:3
    You will need to repeat this for every data drive in the PC replacing 'C:' with the letter of the drive.

If you want specific instructions on how to do this check out this blog post here.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For recycling remove the hard drive (or SSD). For gifting, donating or selling provide a clean operating system by installing or "recovery (or reset) to factory defaults."

5. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am now closing this enquiry and marking it Solved

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice