1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing history from registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Toyman, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

I don't want my pc to keep track of history at all. Such as when you go to View - exporer bar - history OR pull up history from IE's text labels OR when you explore the start menu......... i n other words i just don't want that feature enabled if at all possible to remove it.........

I did go in and disable it but all that did was prevent me from clearing it and it was STILL keeping tracks........

This seems to be a tricky one.......for me anyway......... i have tried a few different approaches ......... with no luck......

I don't care about cookies ..... just disabling the history so that there is no access to it.

I was able to disable the documents history but not the mail history.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

"I was able to disable the documents history but not the <b>mail</b> history. "

I meant the <b>"main"</b> history.......

3. RSM123

RSM123

Got this from http://www.purgeie.com

You may need third party software to do what you are asking .

How to determine which program is locking your I.E. History

[ Process Explorer Instructions ]

Instructions for determining which program has History locked on your system:

Download and install 'Process Explorer' from http://www.sysinternals.com

Start 'Process Explorer'

Click 'Search' and then click 'Find'

Enter "\index.dat" (without the quote marks) into the Search Dialog box.

Click Search.

The resulting display in the Dialog box are the processes that reference the search string. You should ignore the following:

'IEXPLORE.EXE' - Internet Explorer

'EXPLORER.EXE' - Windows Explorer

'MSIMN.EXE' - Outlook Express

Any other processes should be suspect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Reference Source

If you find suspicious programs running on your system, feel free to consult the Pacs-Portal Website via the following link -

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

This page does an excellent job of explaining what a vast majority of the startup programs are and what you can do about them. The site also has a really good writeup on the use of 'MSCONFIG.EXE' which you can use for Win-98, Win-ME or XP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to learn more about the the structure of I.E.'s primary folders and the Index.dat files, I have another documentation page that address this - http://www.purgeie.com/indexdat.htm This page is becoming popular as it has been getting 100 - 200 hits per day.

4. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Toyman,

Why not just go into Control Panel / Internet Options and set the "Days to keep in History" to 0?

Spaceman

5. TOGG

TOGG

Toyman,

Like RSM 123 says, you'll probably need third party software to do what you want as comprehensively as possible.

Because I have an old comp with a very small HDD (13GB), I use Window Washer from Webroot http://www.webroot.com/
    (This should not be confused with Web Washer, a completely different program).

Window Washer is commercial software but its possible that there is a freeware utility that does something similar but I don't know of one.

Since last July Window Washer claims to have freed up over 4.5 GB of space on my HD, quite a significant amount. I could have freed up a lot of this by manual operations in IE but not all of it.

6. agent_c

agent_c

.. I use SMASHER here at work .. it cleans everything .. with options to allow certain cookies that I allow.

.. it uses a lot of system resources .. but if you are worried about the content on your computer .. use it.

.. I'm like a ghost at work .. on deleted folder .. and I am off this computer .. personal settings .. programs .. everything .. gone .. without a trace .. smasher helps a lot.

7. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

Thanks to all who answered. agent_c...... i just installed smasher and i like it the best.......

spaceman_333 .... i did set days to keep history to 0 but it still kept track of that day........ my main thing is when i was in a hurry i would forget to delete it when i was in a hurry and smasher took care of that as long as i close all windows.

I was really hoping on finding a regesitry key so that it wouldn't even keep track but ended up at least with a program that works pretty good.....

Again thanks to all.........

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice