1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing Linux Red Hat from dual boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by MykeRoschbach, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MykeRoschbach

MykeRoschbach Thread Starter

I currently have Linux Red hat/ winxp dual boot on my machine.
    Is there any way of removing the linux OS and be able to boot just to windows?
    I'm having problems with a cluster on that hard drive so I had ghosted the windows partition of the hard drive, but when I restored it onto another HD, it gives me an error (grub error) upon booting up.
    I wanted to remove linux so I could boot to windows only and ghost an image of that to a good HD.

2. lynch

lynch

You can boot the XP CD and run fixmbr from the repair console (I think that's what it's called) or boot with a win98 bootdisk and run fdisk /mbr.
    HTH
    lynch

3. tsunam

tsunam

actually lynch i believe that once you get to the console part you can just do a fdisk /mbr on a xp cd as well.

but yes, fdisk /mbr will make the master boot record only window's based and no linux partition will have the ability to boot. Course you'll still need to remove that section of the hard disc and reclaim it as a windows partition if you want it to be recognized and useable :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice