Removing Linux Red Hat from dual boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MykeRoschbach

I currently have Linux Red hat/ winxp dual boot on my machine.
Is there any way of removing the linux OS and be able to boot just to windows?
I'm having problems with a cluster on that hard drive so I had ghosted the windows partition of the hard drive, but when I restored it onto another HD, it gives me an error (grub error) upon booting up.
I wanted to remove linux so I could boot to windows only and ghost an image of that to a good HD.

You can boot the XP CD and run fixmbr from the repair console (I think that's what it's called) or boot with a win98 bootdisk and run fdisk /mbr.
HTH
lynch

actually lynch i believe that once you get to the console part you can just do a fdisk /mbr on a xp cd as well.

but yes, fdisk /mbr will make the master boot record only window's based and no linux partition will have the ability to boot. Course you'll still need to remove that section of the hard disc and reclaim it as a windows partition if you want it to be recognized and useable :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts