1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing my documents from user attached to domain

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hastings69, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hastings69

hastings69 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, hoping for some help,

We have SBS 2003 with 6 users logging onto 6 computers attached to the domain.

I originally had my laptop attached to the domain and setup offline files to sync. ....however it corrupted my access database on the server (the core of my business - can't be changed) as I had to change Oplocks to get this vista laptop to use offline files, so I have disabled offline files on the laptop.

Desktops (XP and vista) logged on as this same user operate fine during the day, but are obviously never taken offsite and documents never changed "offline"

The consequence is that I can't use itunes or the "my documents" folders at home as offline files are deactivated (itunes is VERY unhappy about this). I don't want to activate and deactivate offline documents every day as it requires 2 restarts!

I want to use the laptop on the domain without having my user using the "my documents" just on the laptop (I hope this makes sense)

So
    1. How can I use "my documents" when still being logged onto the domain either at home or at work?
    2. I would be prepared to use a separate syncing program that doesn't need oplocks but would like to use the my document pathway on the laptop.
    3. I want the laptop to remain on the domain as it can then access a shared drive on the server without problem (and perhaps use this drive to sync documents to say with goodsync or like).
    4. Alternatively I could accept turning off all "my documents" on my user on the domain if it meant it would unlock the "my documents" folder on the laptop?
    Happy to post more info or better explanation

Please help
    TIA
    Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/611984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice