1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing New Computer Bloatware

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jarhtmd, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

There are shortcut icons on my Vista laptop & my new Win7 desktop (& more were added when I installed software) that lead to junk....like credit cards (quicken); try MS office for 60 days; eBay; HP games, etc.

Some lead to internet...(http://......,etc)
    Others to C:\Program files (x86)\HP Games\....
    . . . . . . . C:\hp\bin\msoffice\trial\hta

Am I correct that deleting the (http://....) icon is all that's necessary?

Do I need to uninstall each HP game?

I can't find C:\hp\bin\.....
    I don't want to accidentally delete Office2007 that I installed.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

3. antech

antech Banned

Post a HiJack this Log.
    DO NOT FIX ANYTHING.
    Download it from the link in my sign..

4. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

DustyJay,

RevoUninstaller looks like an excellant tool, but I need to know what to uninstall.

* "Play HP Games" & "Try Microsoft Office for 60 days" are listed in Control Panel. It seems clear that these can/should be uninstalled.

* The "eBay" shortcut Properties shows a Target of "C:\Program Files (x86)\...\shared\WizLink.exe"Http://........ What do I uninstall for this? WizLink isn't shown in Control Panel. Does "shared" in the path indicate that the exe is shared? Does an uninstaller (RevoUninstaller or other) determine that, & if so not uninstall it? What about the "Http://........" part of the Target?

* Can any shortcut icons whose Target is "Http://........" simply be deleted? Or do I need RevoUninstaller for them?

5. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

Antech,

I don't have a "log" to post. Nothing bad has happened. This is simply "stuff" that I don't use/need/want. I know that I can simply delete the shortcuts to clean up the desktop, but that doesn't clean out the underlying stuff. In fact, I've cut/pasted them into a single "delete these" desktop folder. On my new 22" screen, it's really not much of a problem, but on my 12" netbook it's a different story.

I just figured it would be best to do "spring cleaning" while the computers are still "new", before I've accumulated too much junk. Why use disk space for "HP Games" that I'll never play?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

As far as the Shortcuts that are just links as you say to Ebay and such, Go to where the link is located on your computer and just delete it from there. As far as DeCrapifier goes it should work for a lot of the bloatware, I just find that for some things Revo Uninstaller does a more thorough job.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915492