1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing NVidia Geforce PCIe Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ianshields, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianshields

ianshields Thread Starter

I have already trawled the internet attempting to find a solution to something which I assume will be ridicolous simple after I figure it out, but for now, I am stuck

Now I am attemtping to remove the PCIe Card in my Dell XPS 420 to check as my PC refuses to fire up. I have narrowed the possible fault down to either the Graphics Card (powers up but doesn't pull screen) or the Hard Drive (lots of noise but no beeps firing the CMOS). Of course before going after the Hard Drive, I thought it would be an idea to inspect the Graphics Card

The problem looks like the PCIe Card is SOOOOO long that when I am trying to tilt it back out of its blue locator, the other end of the card is striking the Motherboard. Even as far back as it will go, the card will not budge out of the slot, and I am hoping that it trully is something entirely stupid that I am missing

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If the "blue locator" you mention is at the back end of the card slot, this is a release latch. Press it down and then you should be able to remove the card by pulling it straight up.

3. ianshields

ianshields Thread Starter

Actually I have never seen this kind of release mechanism on a PCIe Slot before, it actually required me to pull the slot from the card, the locator strip had to be pulled forward before it would come up

Entirely simple as I thought

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice