1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grandcreator, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandcreator

grandcreator Thread Starter

I'm fixing up an older pc for a relative. Its an amd 1800 with XP. I bought it second hand unknowly with a pirated os. I'm buying the licensed XP home edition online from Microsoft but i also want to remove the partitions already on the HD. Will this be difficult to do when I install the licensed XP os? I have some experience but i'm far from an expert.

Paul

2. cci704

cci704

Why not just reformat the drive and start over with the good XP copy.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right after the license agreement during XP setup, you have the chance to remove all partitions and create new ones as you choose. It is very easy and no other software is needed.

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You will boot the xp cd via the bios. This will start install. During install you will be presented with the choice of partitioning. You will want to delete all partitions and then create a new one(s) of your desire. Install will then go on to completion.

You can get more info googling "installing xp from cd"

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Why not use a good tool for doing the job, gparted is an excellent tool for this, it requires downloading the ISO file and burning it to a CD-R then booting with it. Of course reading on how to use it on the gparted site is a good thing also.

GParted - Gnome Partition Editor

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Also:

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.

http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

6. grandcreator

grandcreator Thread Starter

GREAT! thanks very much

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice