1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing personal information

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xplorer270, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xplorer270

xplorer270 Thread Starter

I'm giving my laptop and the installed software to a charity but want to remove my personal information (i.e., name, passwords and credit cards) entered over the last couple of years in Win98 and IE 5.0. Any advice how to identify and delete this information will be appreciated.

I figured out how to delete personal info from applications like Quicken. Its the Microsoft stuff that's got me stumped.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

best bet is to take the time to reformat the hdd and do a clean install of W98 and any other software you are giving them.

they get a clean machine, you get peace of mind

3. xplorer270

xplorer270 Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll set aside a rainy day to do it!

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Definitely reformat the hardrive. I could tell you where to look to clean everything up but it's not worth it. Your bound to miss something since there are so many places that Windows stores personal data on a PC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!