1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

removing programs from startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MountainMan4, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MountainMan4

MountainMan4 Thread Starter

I have several programs that load on startup but now wish they did not. Most of these show their icons in the program tray (is that the name for that area) on the bottom right of my screen. There is also a program that loads on startup that only shows using Ctrl-Alt-Del. That program is a brand specific controller for a keyboard I no longer have.
    How do I make these not start during startup. I do not want to eliminate them, just make them not start at startup.

I am using Windows ME.

Much thanks,
    MountainMan4

2. dc57

dc57

Mountainman,

At your desktop, click on the start button
    then select run
    in the box, type msconfig
    click okay
    when that comes up, look for the startup tab across the top and open that.
    this will bring up a list of everything that loads when your computer starts up.
    scroll through the list to find the programs that you wish to turn off.
    clear the checkbox on the left and apply changes.
    this will prevent them from starting up but it will not remove the program.

Some programs need to load at startup such as systray and explorer or any antivirus programs that you might have running so, if your'e not sure what the program is or not sure if you need it running, post it here and we can help you.
    Don

3. MountainMan4

MountainMan4 Thread Starter

Thank you Don. I had done it before but a long time back and could not remember.
    Thanks also for the warning about the necessary and desired programs. I do know the necessary ones, the desired ones, and the ones I can and want to stop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice