1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing Programs in Add & Remove Programs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Miercaky, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

Does any one know how I can delete programs in add and remove programs when there is no size given to the right of that program, and because of that I can't uninstall it ! How can I delete these without redownloading them ? Because there are many that I can't redownload ?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you just want to delete the entries from programs you no longer have or remove the installed programs?

3. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

Yes delete the entries from programs I no longer have.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are a lot of apps that will do that RegCleaner is one. After you start it, click on the Uninstall menu button at top and remove only those apps that you no longer have.

Jouni Vuorio's original RegCleaner 4.3.780

5. pjblevin

pjblevin

Miercaky:

The coolest program that I've used to do what you wanna do is "add/remove pro". You can Google to get the download. It will both uninstall the program.....or, if the program has already been uninstalled......but still shows up in the programs list (I hate that), it can remove the ENTRY.

pjblevin

6. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

Thanks these programs you guys gave me did the job ! Thank You ! But I have another question. I have some programs in my add/remove that don't have their sizes to the right of them and I don't think I want to remove, but I'm not sure what to do with them ?

Here they are: DirectX Hotfix, Internet Explorer, ISScript, Macromedia Shochwave Player, Microsoft Data Access Components, NTI CD-Maker 2000 Plus, NVIDIA Display Driver, Outlook Express, ShockWave, Sound Blaster Live Value, Windows SR 2.0, About a dozen Windows XP Hotfix

7. Cris_Cr0ss

Cris_Cr0ss

Here is the reg tweak to remove stuff from add/remove without 3rd party stuff

start>run>type "regedit" with out "

locate this registry folder>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

delete the files u dont want.
    Make sure to backup your registry before you go about.

8. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

Ok Thanks for the info, but what do think I should do with these programs in add/remove ? I mean they look like pretty important programs to me? Do you think I should just delete them ? :confused:

Here they are: DirectX Hotfix, Internet Explorer, ISScript, Macromedia Shochwave Player, Microsoft Data Access Components, NTI CD-Maker 2000 Plus, NVIDIA Display Driver, Outlook Express, ShockWave, Sound Blaster Live Value, Windows SR 2.0, About a dozen Windows XP Hotfix

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I giess I don't understand why you need to do anything with them. If you remove the entries, you won't be able to uninstall them, of course. But many people remove hotfix entries after they are sure that the hotfix works. They also remove the backups in Windows beginning with $NTuninstall....

10. Miercaky

Miercaky Thread Starter

Maybe your right, I guess that's what I'm trying to ask. Do I actually need to do anything with them ? I just thought it was odd that there was no size amount beside of these programs. Is that normal ?

Also, do you think it's okay to remove the hotfix items ? Everything seems to be working fine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!