Removing Programs not found in Add or Remove Utility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rafreeman

I have programs that are not listed under the Control Program, Add or Remove Programs utilities that I want to remove. The program software is still found in the c drive under my programs. How do I remove it manually? My inclination is to simply remove the folder under the "my programs" but is that not a good idea?

Sometimes there will be an uninstaller within the folder(under "my programs") itself. Have you looked there?

yeah, as Digidave says, sometimes there will be an uninstaller named uninst.exe or unwise.exe etc etc.

If there isn't, and you have the original installer, reinstalling again will often add the entry to the add/remove programs list.

rafreeman,

It is my understanding that simply deleting program folders could cause problems because lots of junk could be left lying around, particularly in your Registry. Also, some badly written programs, or their installers, can 'borrow' system files in such a way that you risk deleting them with the folder you are getting rid of.

Having said that, there are some programs that are deliberately left without installers so they can simply be removed. The problem is knowing which is which!

There is a free program called Add/Remove Pro that may or may not be of some help. If you decide to try it, be sure to read the instructions very carefully as it is not just a 'point and click' operation when getting rid of the more troublesome items; http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Add-Remove-Pro-download_4369.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online