1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing read only from folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trag, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

I seem to be unable to remove the read only check from several folders with my installation of the Gimp 2.0. The checkbox is grayed out, but I can uncheck it. The problem is, next time I check the properties, it is checked again. It seems to be screwing up at least one thing with the Gimp.

Thanks

Joel

2. rude

rude

You have to do it from the Admin account(Admin account and User account with admin access may not have the same permissions).Also,the files in question may be copy protected so you can't do anything with them anyway.

3. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

Hmm, My account should be admin, and I don't see why gimp would create folders it couldn't access. It wouldn't be copy protected either, I would think, cause the gimp is open-source.

Joel

4. rude

rude

Normal logon would be your name account not Admin account.Log out of your account and back in as Administrator or try safemode.

5. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

My account does have administrative priviliges, but it still doesn't work. I am not particularly comfortable with trying this in safe mode. Any other suggestions?

Joel

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I'm not completely sure about this, but you say that they folder's read property is gray with a check that you can remove, correct? I believe this means that some of the files within the folder may be read-only.

Maybe try going into the folder, highlighting all the files, uncheck read only, then go back to the folder and do the same....

worth a try.....just my two cents,

MBN

7. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

Thanks, but I tried that already. The files within the folder are not read only, but the folders themselves (most of which are empty) are.

8. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

Update: I just found out that the entire documents and settings folder (of which gimp is a sub-sub folder) is the same, not just the gimp folders. I tried removing it, but it was back next time I checked.

9. rude

rude

The documents and settings folder is a protected system folder and can't be deleted.

Anyway,when you opened the property page,did you see a "Security"tab?

10. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

No, I only saw a sharing tab. Also, I was able to move all of the Gimp folders out of there, and I can save gradients fine now, so the problem is effectively solved.

Thanks for the help

Joel

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!