1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing record of recently accessed docs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vettman, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vettman

Vettman Thread Starter

In Windows XP what are the steps for removing recently accessed files and documents. In 98 and ME it was a straight forward: Start-Settings-Task Bar and Start Menu-Advanced tab, then press clear to remove. I would appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide.

2. Firah

Firah

Hi, Vettman,

Run: gpedit.msc> Administrative templates> Start Menu and Taskbar> clear history of recently opened documents.

And many more options.

3. Vettman

Vettman Thread Starter

Firah... When I tried to run "gpedit.msc" I get the message "Windows could not find 'gpedit.msc'
    Shouldn't that file/utility be part of my windows xp load? Where do I find it? Any chance there's a typo in the spelling?
    Thanks,
    Vettman

4. kath100

kath100

Vettman, This method may be easier,
    Right click on your START button (bottom left of screen)
    select PROPERTIES, click on START MENU, click on CUSTOMIZE, click on ADVANCED, then click the CLEAR box.

5. Vettman

Vettman Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try this approach.

6. Firah

Firah

Vettman,

I should have asked what version of XP you have. gpedit.msc is not included in Home Edition.

Do as kath100 says.

7. Vettman

Vettman Thread Starter

Kath100's approach did not work either. It's the Home Edition of XP. I think you guys realize that I'm not trying to remove a document--that's already been none. I'm just trying to remove the record of having recently accessed the document. I never have understood why this record remains, after the document has been deleted. If anyone has another suggestion, please let me know--thanks.

8. Firah

Firah

In XP Pro I did this:

Right-clicked Start> Properties> Start Menu> Customize> Advanced.

On left-hand side, under Documents and Settings> (my name).Home> My Recent Documents.

I high-lited all and deleted.

Maybe it's different in XP Home.

9. EvileYe

EvileYe

A great program I use is called MRU Blaster, You can download it here, and while your there you might as well get spyware blaster to protect you from spyware being installed.

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/mrublaster.html

Edit: While your at it, you might as well get Spyware Guard to.

I consider Both Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard as essential tools for helping in the prevention of Spyware on your computer.

10. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

You can right-click on the Recent Documents entry and select Delete.

11. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

Like this:

Attached Files:

12. Vettman

Vettman Thread Starter

Deletes the document but does not delete the record of having recently accessed the document. This record remains after the document is deleted. I'm trying to delete the "record"; the document has already been deleted.

13. kath100

kath100

You say that the record still exists, whereabouts on your computer are you seeing the records?,
    As per my previous post, when in the "advanced" panel did you also UNtick the "list my most recent opened documents" box?.

14. hewee

hewee

You can use Spybot also to clean the recently accessed docs, etc from many programs.

15. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice