1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing selection from boot Menu??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kylem15, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kylem15

kylem15 Thread Starter

I purchased a new hard drive and after having some compatibility problems, I decided to install Windows 98 on a small partition and copy the contents of my current hard drive (containing windows XP) to a larger one. Well, when I used Powerquest Drive image to copy my drive over to the new one it deactivated the primary partition on the old drive (i didn't know that it did this). I thought that the boot sector was removed so I used the installation disk to repair it. Not knowing what I was doing I added several redundant selections to the boot menu using bootcfg /add, and I couldn't find any parameters to remove the selections. If you know how to do this please respond. It is a real annoyance having three selections to the same OS. I will probably give up and just keep XP only. I am not willing to go through all those reinstalls. So if anyone know how to disable the menu selection and just boot to the default selection that would work, too. Thanks alot.

Kyle

2. brianF

brianF

couple ways to do it

this is from 2k but xp should be the same. in xp go to start/settings/control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery. top drop down box will allow you to skip and boot directly to xp. choose the os you want, then uncheck the box stating display startup menu.

Also you can edit the boot.ini from within xp, but for the life of me I can't remember where

3. brianF

brianF

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
    Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .

-or-

In Control Panel, open the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System .

On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .

Under System Startup , click Edit .

Note : Set the startup of the default operating system in a multiple-boot system by accessing the System and Recovery settings in the graphical user interface (GUI).
    HERE

4. kylem15

kylem15 Thread Starter

Thanks Brian,
    You've been very helpful in the past, and continue to be, but I have a new problem. I resized the partition containing Windows XP. Now it boots fine, but hangs on the log on screen with no users being shown to select. I'm going to try to run scan disk on it to see if it fixes anything, if not I'm at my whits end. If I get this fixed, I vow to never deal with partitions again- too many headaches. In the time it has taken me to try to get this stuff sorted out I could have reinstalled everything. Well, maybe after all of this I will know what I am doing next time. I think I got in over my head with this one.

Thanks,
    Kyle

5. kylem15

kylem15 Thread Starter

NOTE:

I've decided to post the previous question in a new thread ( what I should have done anyway ), and leave a more detailed description of what ails me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice