1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

removing site from search engine cache

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by starburst, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starburst

starburst Thread Starter

Hi,

This is probably a very easy question, but I don't know HTML at all and am running into a lot of difficulty. I want to remove my site from the "cache" on search engines such as Google. However, it seems like the only way to remove the entire site from the cache, as opposed to individual pages, is to remove the site from search engines all *together* by placing a robots.txt file on my site. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this.

I don't have a need to remove my site from search engines, as long as it no longer shows up in the "cache", but I would be willing to do so if that is my only option. However, I use Trellix SiteBuilder on my Tripod site... I have never worked with HTML in any capacity. I read the Google instructions offered on how to create a robots.txt file and they're absolutely way over my head. Still, I need to have complete control over how my information is displayed on the web, due in part to harrassment, etc. What should I do? Are there any other options? Thanks.

2. erick295

erick295

I don't know what you mean when you say "cache." A page is either indexed or it's not.

As far as I know, you can't use robots.txt if you're hosted on Tripod. I think it has to be in the root of the domain, which you don't have access to.

If there is a single page you don't want to have indexed, you can add this element to its head in the HTML, but it would require having access to the code:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Of course, if you really don't want someone to see something, don't put it on the Internet ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice