1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing the RECYCLER\NPROTECT folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Using Windows XP Pro.

I'm putting this in the Windows forum because no Symantec product has been installed on this system since the Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings folders were deleted and Windows was installed fresh and clean.

All that is currently installed is Windows XP Pro and all the available updates except IE7.

After doing the above-mentioned, I noticed a 1.8 Gigabyte C:\RECYCLER folder with an NPROTECT folder inside it. Long story short, I converted the file system to FAT32 and deleted the RECYCLER folder in DOS mode (not a DOS window--full DOS mode). Problem solved--I thought. It was indeed gone--until I restarted Windows. It was back; but, this time, it was just 498 Megs, still an annoyance.

I've tried suggestions from Microsoft's Knowledge Base that didn't work and other suggestions from other sites on the 'net that didn't work, including but not limited to the following:
    RD /s /q \\?\C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT
    RD /s /q C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT
    RD /s /q \\?\C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\*
    RD /s /q \\?\C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\*.*
    RD /s /q C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT
    RD /s /q C:\RECYCLER

Then I went into the Registry and there are no references whatsoever to either RECYCLER or NPROTECT.

I don't know how to edit the disk or I would try that. Besides, I don't think I have the tools for it.

Any suggestions?

2. jeffd0006

jeffd0006

Two methods I came across:
    del \\?\c:\recycler\nprotect\*.*
    rmdir /s \\?\C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT

Also...
    Manual NProtect removal:
    Remove registry entries:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{9a19966f-ae0e-4699-8cce-9b6f5f1c352c}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\typelib\{9a19966f-ae0e-4699-8cce-9b6f5f1c352c}
    http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-nprotect/

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks for trying; but, since no Symantec product has ever been installed on this copy of Windows, those registry keys don't exist.

DEL is a command that deletes files, not folders and XP returns RMDIR is an unrecognized command.

4. jeffd0006

jeffd0006

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice