Removing the "safely remove" icon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rogelio

Hi

I just installed a SATA hard drive in my new motherboard, but in windows xp I get the "safely remove hardware" icon on the system tray, which refers to my hard drive.

Is there a way to tell windows that I'm not going to remove the hard drive so I don't have to see the icon?

Right click on the task bar and go to properties. Make sure you are on the Taskbar tab, then put a check in Hide Inactive Icons, and click on Customize. Scroll down until you see "Safely Remove Hardware" and click to the right of it (should say "Hide When Inactive"). Change this to say "Hide Always" and then click OK twice to save the settings.

I dont think thats what he wants. SATA drives shouldn't be having that tag. I have two SATA drives and none of them display that. This is plugged into the motherboard, right?

Rogelio

Whaines is right, that just hides the icon but the ability to remove it its still there. And yes its plugged into the motherboard.

same problem here.
I have:
- serial ata seagate 160G drive.
- asus k8n motherboard.

anyone knows how I get rid of the safely remove icon ? regedit maybe?
the solution to always hide the icon on the taskbar is not that good for me ...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You don't want to hide the Disconnect Icon always, since then it won't be available when you do plug in a device you want to use it for. I agree with the other posters, something is wrong with the specification of the SATA drive, none of mine show up as removable.

JohnWill said:
You don't want to hide the Disconnect Icon always, since then it won't be available when you do plug in a device you want to use it for. I agree with the other posters, something is wrong with the specification of the SATA drive, none of mine show up as removable.
Me too ,mine either.

My two SATA drives do, aswell as my USB ADSL modem, I can't see the problem everything works fine... :confused:

Rogelio

I actually install the drive using the disk wizard.

The funny thing is I just build a new system for a friend of mine, that has a msi motherboeard and a western digital drive, (mine is asus a8n sli with a seagate hard drive) and it has the same problem!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online