Removing Unknown Ethernet Connection

SIRJACOBSTINE

Where I live, my internet is terrible (1-2 mbps), and I have noticed that any device connected to the internet puts a heavy drain on my connection, especially computers using Ethernet. Aside from 2 computers, we have no other Ethernet connections. So when a third Ethernet connection appeared(despite the fact that we only have 2 cables connected to our bell home 2000 modem), I was by no means happy. The interesting thing about this connection is it seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason. At first, it would only appear when a specific computer was connected to the internet, and would go away when it was disconnected, But after i narrowed the problem down to that computer, it changed up and started happening when either computer was plugged in. Now, it simply appears at random times, stays for random lengths and just as randomly disconnects. if it was just there, connected but doing nothing, it would not be a problem, but it sucks my internet when its connected making any internet on my computer useless. I would try to hunt down the device if it was a wireless connection, but because its an Ethernet connection, i have no idea where it is coming from. I tried using access control on my modem to block it from the internet, but even then it still drains my connection. I don"t know how to get rid of it. Any help?

P.S first time posting on any type of forum ever, if there's some more info you need on specifics, please tell me, although keep in mind im not very advanced in the subject. if you use acronyms or use confusing computer talk, try simplifying it or explaining it as much as possible. Thanks!

TerryNet

Terry
First time I've encountered such a ghost ethernet connection! Perhaps some kind of defect with your modem/router (assuming that's what the "bell home 2000 modem" is).

Please show a screen shot that shows this problem connection.

If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

And, how do you know that this ghost connection "drains" your connection?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What software was running that let you see this 3rd connection ?
How is the 3rd connection described ?

My guess would be it's a program or windows updating but let's see what you're answers are before making any assumptions.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Terry I posted without seeing your first post.

TerryNet

Terry
That's fine, Allan. Your post fits well with mine, as I was obsessed with the router and didn't even think about program(s). :)

SIRJACOBSTINE

I know it drains my connection because i have extremely slow speeds, and any device connecting slows my connection to unusable. i have tested this with my families phones, tablets, computers, the tv, ect... when its just my computer, and the phantom connection (my name for it) on the Ethernet, the pc works just fine. same if its my pc and our other pc. but the second all three connections occur at once, it dies.

It was not a software, it was the modem home screen that i access by typing 192.168.2.1 into chrome, then checking the devices connected to my modem

I'm unsure what you mean by "described". please elaborate?

windows 10 pro. 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor. in case you need it, nvidia gtx 660 graphics, intel i7-3770 3.50 GHz, 16 GB ram

screenshot:
Tech support screenshot.PNG

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks. I have no clue yet. Can't get my head around the concept of an ethernet connection w/o a cable. :unsure:

Do you have a virtual machine on either computer? (If you don't understand the question, the answer is 'no.')

Is there any other information available about the connection? Does clicking on the crayon under 'Settings' show anything?

SIRJACOBSTINE

I can go into advanced mode and see the IP address and the mac address, but i haven't been able to find any useful information concerning it thusfar. clicking the pencil (settings) just gives me different customization options for what to display, make the picture a phone or tablet or laptop or something like that, allows me to see the mac address and IP range, and if its static or dynamic. just to see if it worked, i put it on static awhile back and forgot about putting it back to dynamic. Also, no virtual machine.

TerryNet

Terry
The IP address differs from those of the two computers, right? Do you get a response if you ping it? Try to access it via a browser? (Just trying to look for clues.)

What is the MAC address? That may help determine the device. For example, a MAC address on the PC I'm now using is 44-03-2C-2A-DF-FA. The first half of that tells us that it is an Intel device. (It is my Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 wireless adapter.)

SIRJACOBSTINE

the unknown decives mac is 38:2c:4a:6b:cc:c0 and my pc is 10:bf:48:d6:af:1d , our IP's are the same except for the last digit which is 11 for my pc and 10 for the unknown

Ping it? what is that and how do i do it? is that a speedtest or something?

TerryNet

Terry
38:2c:4a indicates an Asus device. Maybe an Asus computer or an Asus USB ethernet adapter. But that doesn't seem to fit for a ghost or phantom connection. Asus also makes networking equipment. I wonder if a wireless access point or range extender or bridge might show up as an ethernet connection but only when in active use? Do you have anything made by Asus that might be the phantom?

Ping gives response time, but it's main purpose is to ask "is anybody there?". Here are two examples to ping an internet site. You can use the IP address of one of your computers or the phantom the same way.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
(In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following commands:

ping 8.8.8.8

ping yahoo.com

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts