1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing vista and adding XP again

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shadyvip0wnZy0u, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadyvip0wnZy0u

shadyvip0wnZy0u Thread Starter

Hello all, I bought a new pc 3 days ago, and it's the best computer I ever had, 3 gigs is A LOT! :D
    Anyways.... :rolleyes: I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and it's okay and all.. but I want Windows XP home edition back on my system. I heard rumors that if you remove vista the drivers will be damaged or what ever.. so From experience.. or knowledge... does anyone know if it's safe to get XP again with out my PC damaging or being wrong with it?

Also, when I bought this PC, it already had vista on it, if I removed vista and added XP can I get vista back with out a CD? Because.. when I open my PC it says press "f11" to reboot/recover.. so will it recover vista....or what.. ? o_0

2. Datalyss

Datalyss Banned

I'm by no means an expert here, but if you have backup and whatnot of all yopur stuff, and you want to get rid of Vista and re-install XP, I'd say the easiet way is to re-format the hard drive, and do a clean install (I assume you have an XP CD).

Although, this confuses me:"if I removed vista and added XP can I get vista back with out a CD? Because.. when I open my PC it says press "f11" to reboot/recover.. so will it recover vista....or what.. ? o_0"

If you want XP, why would you want Vista back? Of course, even if you did, you couldn't without a Vista CD.

As for the F11 thing...no idea.

3. FBJimmy

FBJimmy

Hi, assuming that you have a proper XP disk and key to hand installing XP should not be a problem. Take the following steps:-

1. Make a note of the exact model numbers of all the hardware installed in the system (sound card, video card, LAN cards, USB chipset etc etc) from the device manager (devmgmt.msc from the Vista start menu).

2. Source and download (via google) XP drivers for all the hardware in your system.

3. Back up any files you may want from the machine.

4. Set the system to boot from CD first before HDD in the BIOS setting (del key, or other, as indicated on the boot screen), insert the XP disk and restart.

5. When the system boots from the XP disk follow the instructions on screen to delete the existing partition, create a new one and install XP. NB. please be aware that if you are using SATA HDDs you will need to have the 3rd party SATA drivers ready on floppy disc prior to the install and press F6 at the appropriate point to load them. Otherwise the XP installation disc will not recognise your HDDs.

6. Having followed the steps to install XP you will most likely find a lot of your PC does not function. Open the device manager again from the control panel -> system and see which devices are missing or shown with errors. Install the drivers for these pieces of hardware that you should have downloaded previously. If you have any problems with any hardware that shows as ok in device manager, it is worth checking then that the drivers are the latest/correct ones and if not install them from the manufacturers website.

And there you have it, a Vista machine restored to XP. This process can be applied (with OS specific changes in finding installed hardware) to any machine that you wish to install XP on in fact (Linux/Win2000 etc).

As far as restoring back to Vista I am unaware at this point of how the registration/product key etc process works for Vista when all you have is an OEM key. I am hoping (as I too have a Vista OEM key and no disc) that you should be able to use this copy of Vista on any one machine at YOUR leisure, but MS doesn't tend to go with that philosophy so without further research I don't know... anyone care to step in and explain for us....

FBJ

4. FBJimmy

FBJimmy

I missed Datalyss's post while typing my reply, so apologies for repeating some of what he said. I think the F11 business must regard a system restore function available from the Vista boot screen. This is for use when the HDD has mild issues I believe, and I think is a function of Vista. Should you re-format and install XP this will not be there I do not think, and for sure you will not be able to restore Vista from the HDD using this or anything else, it will require a Vista disc.

FBJ

5. Datalyss

Datalyss Banned

No Big. :D I'm just a slow typer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice