1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing VISTA.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by renegade X, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade X

renegade X Thread Starter

Hi all. I have VISTA dual booted with XP. I only wanted to use VISTA so I can play Halo2. After hearing about Halo2's issues, I decided to not get the game. That being said, I will wait a few years. SO here is my question. Do I have to go to the recovery console to remove the boot option for VISTA? Or is there a simple modification similar to the boot.ini? I looked around the "boot" folder, but nothing seemed to be editable.

2. pkjmesra

pkjmesra

When logged into XP ->My computer->Rightclick->Properties->Advanced Tab->Startup and recovery frame ->click settings->under system startup frame->click edit->

It will open in notepad and will look like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Remove the last line (or the line where Vista appears). also change the default= option at the top and make sure you change the partition number to that of XP.Or simply said, copy the XP line before = (eg. multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS) and then place it after default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.
    Save it and you are done.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I don't think that will work. Vista does not startup with the boot.ini, which you are showing here. Better to download a program such as VistaBootPro and use that to remove the bootmng, which is the program Vista is usuing for its dual boot set up.
    If you have a bootable XP cd, then you can do this:

1) Insert the Bootable XP cd & boot into the recovery console.(you have to set the 1st boot device as CD-ROM in BIOS)
    press R in that welcome screen to enter the windows recovery console.
    2) in the recovery console type in
    fixboot c:
    Say Y

next type in

fixmbr
    Say "Y"

4) Restart the system

You have now removed the Vista Loader...
    So
    Boot into XP Operating system

1.Right click on my computer -->properties

2.Advanced-->startup & recovery settings-->

3. Choose the primary XP operating system & set the timeout as 0

Delete any vista files manually from the windows explorer from XP. (Or reformat)

4. renegade X

Correct, it will not work. And yes I know how to use the recovery console, but I want a faster method for future reference. There is a way, but I can not find it. It was a file named fixntfs.exe or something, but I see nothing in the "boot" folder. Anyone know?

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

You can install the recovery console on you XP partition. I do not think much could then be quicker, but maybe some reader will pop up with a suggestion.

6. pkjmesra

pkjmesra

7. renegade X

The solution I was looking for can only be done in a 64 bit environment, so I guess the recovery console is the only option. :mad:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice