1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing W95 from computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Flyboy78, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flyboy78

Flyboy78 Thread Starter

When I bought my computer it came with W95 and IE. I have since installed W98 2nd. edition and the Netscape browser. I also opted to save the files of the current operating system (W95) as it recommended when I installed W98. How do I remove W95 from my computer and will I lose my IE browser if I do? If I must uninstall W98 and opt "not" to save the current operating system's files when I reinstall W98 in order to remove it (W95) then what do I do with the fact that it is unrecommended you uninstall W98 if your file system has already been converted to the FAT32 system (which indeed I have done)? :confused:

2. panzer999

panzer999

Click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Drive Space Manager and run it. You'll see it as an option to remove the older version.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Flyboy78:

Click Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup. When the window appears, place a checkmark in everything, then allow it to run. It will delete all the useless junk listed there, along with the Windows 95 files. (y)

Besides running Disk Cleanup, do the following. Click Start - Find - Files And Folders. When the window appears, select the hard drive to look in. Type in:

*.TMP

then click Find Now. When the list of files appears, click Edit - Select All - File - Delete - Yes. Repeat the steps with:

C:\TEMP\*.* (This folder may not be present)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

This will get rid of a lot more useless junk.

Since that computer originally came with Windows 95, it's obviously an old model. What speed is the CPU, how much RAM is installed, how large is the hard drive and how much free space is still present? I have a reason for asking.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. Flyboy78

Flyboy78 Thread Starter

The computer has a Pentium 233 processor with 64mb of ram. It currently has a 2.98 GB harddrive with 1.83GB of free space.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Flyboy78:

My 6-year old HP 8160 has a 233 MHz processor(overclocked to 262 MHz), has the maximum amount of RAM(128 MB) for its motherboard, has a 6.03 GB hard drive with 4.23 GB still free, and is running Windows 98SE and MIE 6.0 SP1.

It's old and it's slow(compared to my HP N5495), but it runs fine because I keep as much useless junk out of it as I can, I defrag the hard drive a couple of times a month, and I tweak it to the max. It still has a lot of useful life left in it.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. skyman

skyman

Flyboy78,

Listen to flavallee..

I have a 6 year old 333MHz with 256 of ram and 6.00 Gb of hard drive with 4.00 free and I keep it super clean.
    It is also old and slow but if you keep it clean it will last you 20 years unless you want to be the game or mp3 king...

If is fun to see how fast you can make it..

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice