1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

removing win3.1/install 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by plibitz, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

Is it possible to remove windows 3.1 from a 100mhz, 2g hard drive old computer and install win 98.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

yes
    but it won't run :)

depends on the system, in any event it'll be slow

i have W98 on a 586 (~P75 speed approx) with a 2gb drive, 64 mb ram

it works fine, but at it's own pace

note: you won't have a lot of room left over for software

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

It will run fine if you just use a Win9x upgrade CD. It may be necessary to install a new modem, the Win 3.x ones were way to slow if that's the original.

If you delete Win 3.x you will lose your video and sound and modem drivers, not a good idea because you'd have to trry to find out which ones you need and where to get them.

Be sure your system meets the recommended upgrade requirements for upgrading to Win9x, especially Hard disk space. At a DOS prompt type, dir, and strike the Enter key. Type, win, and strike the Enter key to restart Win 3.x.

Win95 would be a more appropriate upgrade for that system but Win98 FE or SE should be Ok if you meet the system requirements.

4. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

Do you know of any download site where i can get the win 95 upgrade? I will be saving to disk on another computer using cable modem

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The 95 upgrade cannot be downloaded.....perhaps take a look on Ebay.......they seem to sell just about anything.....it shouldn't cost very much though.......

6. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

Thank you, I will check there. Do you know how to completely remove the os from the hard drive and then clean boot win 98.
    I am a novice that runs a non-profit rehab with a lot of older computers laying around. The one I am working on is a Dell (service tag 5DZR4)

Processor: pentium

Bios revision 7/15/95

16 meg ram (I am increasing this if possible)

I have win 98 full install cd)

MS-DOS: 6.2

Hard Drive: 1062 MB ( I want to replace this with a 10 GB drive I already have?)

It seems a shame for these old computers to go to waste when I see so many people around here that could use them. Slowly I'm learning, thanks for the help.
    Gene

7. ~Candy~

Here's some instructions to get you started. You are definitely going to want more ram for windows 98. The ram for those older Dell machines should be pretty cheap now.

I've found that on those older machines, windows 95 runs faster.....so unless very patient people are going to end up with these machines, I would highly suggest going with 95 instead.

If you have any questions please post back.

http://www.pe.net/~eric545/pg22.html

8. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

Thank You for the instructions. That gets me started, however, now I have a couple of other questions. Is there such a thing as a boot disk for win 3.11? I did go and download a boot disk for MS-Dos 6.2. Is that it? (DOS 6.20EXE) I put it on a 3.5 floppy to use in the other computer. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for your time and patience.
    Gene

9. ~Candy~

If you are going to wipe the hard drive clean, don't worry about what operating system you have on it right now......

Download a windows 98 bootable floppy.....you'll be installing from a cdrom, correct? If so, you'll need cdrom support, and that bootable disk will get it for you.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save it to your desktop, double click on the file, you'll be prompted to insert a clean floppy disk, and all the files you need will be transferred......

10. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

I just revived a hand-me down from my dad for my girlfriend.
    Packard Bell (ugh) Pentium-133, it now has a 2 gig HDD 72 megs ram, old combo modem/soundcard was bad so replaced with 2 individual cheapies. It was a real bear trying to get the sound-modem working so i gave up.
    Was '95 now '98FE. It was pretty snappy (relatively speaking) but slowed down a little as programs were added. The HDD is about half full now.

Anyhow be sure and get ahold of all needed drivers first (video, sound, modem, etc.) & put them on floppies.
    You'll also probably need a BIOS extender program from the HDD maker to get all 2 gigs recognized. All HDD makers have these free for download (hopefully you got one in the box with your drive). This disk should also take care of formatting & partitioning the new drive which will effectively erase all the old stuff.

All in all it runs ok, definitely not a screamer but fully usable for web surfing, office apps etc.
    I agree with Candy, eBay has some fair deals on old OS's but they're in high demand there so you need to be ebay savvy to win....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice