1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Removing XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Not tech saavy, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Not tech saavy

Not tech saavy Thread Starter

Hello....
    Help a sad girl out with her laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron computer which came to me with XP Professional on it. I believe it must have been an office edition, but I do not have the product key code etc. I want to put my own XP Home Edition, and XP Home Office Suite onto the laptop, however, when I try to load the XP Home Edition, I'm being told that a fatal error is occuring and it stops the loading process. How can I remove the XP Professional and put on my own software so I can use this computer?
    Thanks!
    :confused:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Since you list yourself as "Not tech saavy" I would suggest you don't do any of the previous suggestions as they may result in your laptop becoming a boat anchor.

First you must be clear yourself wheither you are talking about Office or the OS.

XP professional is a OS [operating system]
    XP home is a OS [operating system]
    Office Professional is a Office suite product
    Office Home and Student is a Office suite product

To install ANY MS office product YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UNINSTALL THE OS AND PUT A DIFFERENT ONE ON..

You can install your xp home office suite without reinstalling the OS.

So don't touch your XP pro install!!!!

Just install your Office product. Understand that no XP OS comes with Office included. Office is a seperate install set of cds.

5. Not tech saavy

Not tech saavy Thread Starter

When I tried to load my office cd with word/excel, I was informed that it needed a service pack 2 upgrade. When I attempted to get the service pack 2 upgrade, it asks for the product registration code for XP Professional, which I do not have, as it came with the laptop. That's why I need to get my own XP Home Edition OS onto this computer, and then do the service pack 2 upgrade, and then install my word/excel 2007 edition. Any solutions around this? Or does it still mean I have to delete the partitions and recreate a new partition for Home Edition??

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want a nice, new installation, which I would recommend so you don't have future problems with someone else's installation, I'd delete the partitions and start fresh. We will help you through the process, and unless you drop it on a cement floor, I think the chances of its becoming a boat anchor are remote.

7. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Thanks for clarifing the situation.

"as it came with the laptop"

Did you turn the laptop upside down and look at the bottom? That is where the xp license key is located on Dells. Better to avoid a downgrade from pro to home if you don't need to.

Barring that you can find the key with magic jelly bean.
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice