1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

rename an file extension from .xlr to .xls

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puterjunkie4ever, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puterjunkie4ever

puterjunkie4ever Account Closed Thread Starter

I have received an email with a file extension of .xlr (Microsoft works). I want to change it to .xls (Microsoft excel. How would I do this so that I can work on the spreedsheart in excel. I'm a newbie. Please be specific. I'm using xp.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It should work that way round because Excel has the greater capability than Works. I suggest you go into Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types and scroll down to files of type .xlr and associate those files with Excel. I think it's a better way than renaming and will make Excel the default programme for that file type.

3. puterjunkie4ever

I don't understand what you are saying. I did go to the control panel, etc....but seem somewhat confused. I only want to take my email with the works spreadsheet and convert it to .xls to that I can work on it. You have to be more specific to me. I will follow directions that you give.

4. puterjunkie4ever

I can't go down to .xlr...it only says .xls.....Do you know how to just rename the file?

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

If you have MS Works installed, open the .xlr file with it. Then do a "save as" and save it in some format that your version of Excel can open.

That failing, you could use a file converter. Google for ".xlr file to .xls converter" and you'll get plenty of choices. Some are free to try.

EDIT: Why don't you try renaming the file so it has an .xls entension. That will work in many cases but it may depend on the conplexity of the file and the version difference between the authors software and yours. No harm trying. Place the attachment on your desktop > right-click > select rename > and change the extension to .xls for a test. Double-click it and chances are it'll open with Excel.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!