1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renamed account folder. How to fix?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wootcat, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up some accounts on my XPSP3 system. I have some accounts set up, but wanted to change some names. I know that if I change an account name, the directory name stays the same, and I didn't want to get confused later on if I was ever doing some stuff on that directory level.

I used this page to copy the settings from my account (named "Main") to a new account named "Admin". I had problems getting access to the folder while in the 3rd account, so followed the instructions here to gain access. Once I got it copied, I loaded Admin and found it looked exactly like Main, which is what I wanted.

But then, I went into Main and most everything was gone, and XP was acting as if it was a brand new account. I then went into Documents and Settings and found there were now TWO Main accounts. "Main" and "Main.DARKSIDE" (DARKSIDE is the "full computer name" found in System Properties). I can tell by the directory sizes that Main is the fresh, new account I see in my account list and Main.DARKSIDE appears to be my original Main account (being over 6GB in size).

I am not sure how my Main got renamed to Main.DARKSIDE. How do I get things set back so that I get my original Main back appearing in the account list?

Thanks!

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

windows will automaticly rename account folders to avoid conflicts.

are you using a DNS server or only local user accounts?

if your new Admin account is working why don't you just trash the main account/s and their files?

3. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by using a DNS server... I have local user accounts, but I do have an NAS, but no accounts are held there. I just have mapped some drives for users to use on the NAS. Not sure if that might be what you are referring to. :)

I don't want to trash the main account because I was going to keep the Admin account as an admin account (and only use it when I need to) and then switch Main over to a limited account. My wife's had some problems with a rootkit recently which has made me a little more sensitive to security.

Where did the renaming occur and why? I created "Admin" and copied everything (using those knowledge docs) from Main to Admin. Why would it create another Main and rename Main to Main.DARKSIDE?

And thanks for the help!

4. cybersloth

cybersloth

To be honest I too am a little suprised that it did that, but sometimes computers do things that seem to defy logic.

In my opinion limiting your account is not the best option for security as i understand some malicious software just uses the system credentials so doing this wouldent help, what you need is security software.
    I use AVG free & AntiVir, both are free for home use, and conduct scans whenever I have been on less than trustworthy sites or see the computer behaving unusualy.

As far as DNS goes it stands for 'Domain Name Service', if you dont know what it is then your most likley not using it, as you would need a server or a 'smart' network device set up accordingly.

5. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

Heh. You and me both.

My wife was running security software at the time she got the rootkit, which it didn't catch. I was just adding another layer of protection. I think my kids might have been visiting some dodgy sites.

Oh, I know what DNS stands for and what it does in resolving internet domain names. I just wasn't sure how it would be used in a local system.

So, any ideas on how to fix the previous problem?

6. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

So, can anyone tell me how to get Main.DARKSIDE back?

I doubt it's as simple as deleting the new Main, which is a new account and removing the ".DARKSIDE" from the "disabled" account.

Thanks!

7. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

Anyone?

8. Jim Danner

Jim Danner

But you could try that, couldn't you? I mean, log in as the Administrator (the built-in Admin user), then rename Main to Main.backup, rename Main.DAKRSIDE to Main, reboot and see what happens...

9. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

Sure, I could try that. I was hoping that someone with some experience in matters like these would tell me if that was even possible. For all I know, renaming account folders like that might mess up the account in a way that would make me lose everything in it.

10. Jim Danner

Jim Danner

Windows doesn't just throw away files and folders. The worst that could happen is that it would make some account settings unreadable, but that would be no worse than the situation you're in now...

Unless you have encrypted ('personalized') your profile, but I guess that's not the case and you can read all the files in your old profile, right?

11. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

I should be able to, but can't access the folder - don't have the rights. Probably because it is/was an admin account. Can't rename the account folder either for the same reason.

12. cybersloth

cybersloth

Hi wootcat,

I've been off line for a little while...

to be able to change/access the main.x folder you will need to be loged in as an administrator, if you are and you still can't change/access the folder you may need to change the security setings for the folder by adding yourself (the admin login you are using), to do this:

R/click on the main.x folder and go 'Properties' > click on the 'security tab' > in 'Group or user names' select your current login.

If it is not there you will have to add it by clicking 'Add > type in the username and click 'Check Names', your username should apear in the folowing format 'COMPUTER NAME\Username' then click OK, now you can select your current login.

at the bottom there are check boxes under 'Permissions for 'username'', > tick Full Control.

you should now be able to rename these folders (you will need to repete this process for all folders you wish to change but can not, alternativley you could select all of these folders before you r/click and modify them all at once.

Jim is correct, you can rename user folders like this, and if there is a problem you will just get an error, 99% of the time you will need to conferm any file changes.

cybersloth...

13. wootcat

wootcat Thread Starter

I must be missing something.

I changed the user/directory name, but I don't know how to get it to appear on the login screen.

The account I WANT to appear is currently named "Main.OLD". The one that appears on the login screen is "Main.DARKSIDE". I deleted "Main.DARKSIDE" and renamed "Main.OLD" to Main.

When I go back to the login screen and click on Main, Windows recreates Main.DARKSIDE and launches that account.

How do I get Windows to see and load my old Main account?

14. cybersloth

cybersloth

you need to name the user folder that you wish to use "Main.DARKSIDE" as this is aparently the one that windows is referencing, if this dosent work then you may have to move the contence manualy and reconfigure your user options through the control panel.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice