1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renamed Smss.exe and broke my computer.. :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cbank30, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

Hi, I was getting an error from smss.exe so I located 3 files with the same name (all located in different areas). I renamed all 3 to "asd" with no .exe extention. I then restarted my computer and I get a blue screen of death every time windows is about to load. I've tried safe mode, last known config, start windows normally ect, but nothing seems to work. I loaded in the Windows XP disk and hit "repair" and now i can access the harddrive where my OS is, but windows still doesn't load.

Is it possible to rename "asd" back to "smss.exe" using the command prompt so I can use my computer again? Basically smss.exe is there, but it has a different name.

Is it possible to put smss.exe back?

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

If you know where each file that you renamed is then you can go to that particular file thru safe mode and rename it back again. That should help.

If this does solve your problem the next time write down the error message and post it here at TSG....

3. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

i can't boot into safe mode, it crashes.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can rename them if you have a command prompt, and you remember where the files are. If you are using Windows XP running on a C: partition, here's the command to type:
    REN C:\Windows\system32\asd smss.exe

If Safe Mode crashes, try "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

5. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

It says "The parameter is not valid."

:( :confused:

6. Lance1

Lance1

If you boot from the XP CD and get into the recovery Consol you should be able to copy the smss.exe from the I386 in the C:\ root to C:\windows\system 32

7. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

that's what i need to do! how would i be able to do this?

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Sorry, see my edited post.

9. Lance1

Lance1

Put the XP CD in the tray and restart the computer. Hit any key at the prompt. At the first prompt to select R for the recover consol. It asks for a administrator password so if there is one put it in and if not leave it blank and hit enter. Type in copy \? For a list of commands.

10. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

for some reason i can't seem to rename the file, it just gives me an error, is it possible to copy it from the xp disk or something?

11. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

copy \? says "copy does not support wildcard or directory copies."

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

That is probably going to crash also. And since it was tried for a repair-install and that did not work either a clean install might have to be done.

There is one way that might work a Linux live cd that you can access the hard drive with should be able to give access to rename the files. Most all of th Linux distro's are like that or you might want to try http://www.bootdisk.com/ and make a bootdisk to do this thru C:\ prompt.

13. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

i will give this a shot, i'm downloading slax right now (http://www.slax.org/download.php)

14. Lance1

Lance1

You could also try to expand expand X:\I386\smss.ex_ c:\windows\system32\smss.exe Were “X” is the CD\ROM letter. This is also from the recovery consol.

15. cbank30

cbank30 Thread Starter

how can i figure out what letter my cd-drive is?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice