Renamed Smss.exe and broke my computer.. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cbank30

Hi, I was getting an error from smss.exe so I located 3 files with the same name (all located in different areas). I renamed all 3 to "asd" with no .exe extention. I then restarted my computer and I get a blue screen of death every time windows is about to load. I've tried safe mode, last known config, start windows normally ect, but nothing seems to work. I loaded in the Windows XP disk and hit "repair" and now i can access the harddrive where my OS is, but windows still doesn't load.

Is it possible to rename "asd" back to "smss.exe" using the command prompt so I can use my computer again? Basically smss.exe is there, but it has a different name.

Is it possible to put smss.exe back?

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Welcome to TSG....

If you know where each file that you renamed is then you can go to that particular file thru safe mode and rename it back again. That should help.

If this does solve your problem the next time write down the error message and post it here at TSG....

cbank30

ozrom1e said:
Welcome to TSG....

If you know where each file that you renamed is then you can go to that particular file thru safe mode and rename it back again. That should help.

If this does solve your problem the next time write down the error message and post it here at TSG....
i can't boot into safe mode, it crashes.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can rename them if you have a command prompt, and you remember where the files are. If you are using Windows XP running on a C: partition, here's the command to type:
REN C:\Windows\system32\asd smss.exe

If Safe Mode crashes, try "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

cbank30

Frank4d said:
You can rename them if you have a command prompt, and you remember where the files are. If you are using Windows XP running on a C: partition, here's the command to type:
REN C:\Windows\system32\asd C:\Windows\system32\smss.exe

If Safe Mode crashes, try "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
It says "The parameter is not valid."

:( :confused:

If you boot from the XP CD and get into the recovery Consol you should be able to copy the smss.exe from the I386 in the C:\ root to C:\windows\system 32

cbank30

Lance1 said:
If you boot from the XP CD and get into the recovery Consol you should be able to copy the smss.exe from the I386 in the C:\ root to C:\windows\system 32
that's what i need to do! how would i be able to do this?

Put the XP CD in the tray and restart the computer. Hit any key at the prompt. At the first prompt to select R for the recover consol. It asks for a administrator password so if there is one put it in and if not leave it blank and hit enter. Type in copy \? For a list of commands.

cbank30

for some reason i can't seem to rename the file, it just gives me an error, is it possible to copy it from the xp disk or something?

cbank30

Lance1 said:
Put the XP CD in the tray and restart the computer. Hit any key at the prompt. At the first prompt to select R for the recover consol. It asks for a administrator password so if there is one put it in and if not leave it blank and hit enter. Type in copy \? For a list of commands.
copy \? says "copy does not support wildcard or directory copies."

That is probably going to crash also. And since it was tried for a repair-install and that did not work either a clean install might have to be done.

There is one way that might work a Linux live cd that you can access the hard drive with should be able to give access to rename the files. Most all of th Linux distro's are like that or you might want to try http://www.bootdisk.com/ and make a bootdisk to do this thru C:\ prompt.

cbank30

ozrom1e said:
That is probably going to crash also. And since it was tried for a repair-install and that did not work either a clean install might have to be done.

There is one way that might work a Linux live cd that you can access the hard drive with should be able to give access to rename the files. Most all of th Linux distro's are like that or you might want to try http://www.bootdisk.com/ and make a bootdisk to do this thru C:\ prompt.
i will give this a shot, i'm downloading slax right now (http://www.slax.org/download.php)

You could also try to expand expand X:\I386\smss.ex_ c:\windows\system32\smss.exe Were “X” is the CD\ROM letter. This is also from the recovery consol.

cbank30

Lance1 said:
You could also try to expand expand X:\I386\smss.ex_ c:\windows\system32\smss.exe Were “X” is the CD\ROM letter. This is also from the recovery consol.
how can i figure out what letter my cd-drive is?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts