renaming drives...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChfTx

Another question....

I intalled a scavanged hard drive with 2 partions on it on a Compaq Deskpro, P1,.....trouble...I know the hard drive is ok and I know the computer is ok (the hard drive I replaced failed)....but...

Having some trouble and believe I need to rename the drives..??

I can't locate the cd (it worked fine before and shows up when I power up with the boot dosk "w/ cdrom support"....it doesn't appear in My Computer (or on Device Manager), and only one of the hard drive partitions appears......the only drives shown are "C" and "A"............there ought to at least be 2 HD drives.......and of course, the CD drive.........

also...."fdisk/status"..has 3 drives listed and "c" and "D" are the hard drive....

does this make sense?..

thanks!!

Are the missing partitions (Drives) formatted? fdisk will show unformatted partitions, but Windows will not.

ChfTx

yes, they are........I formated the drive for a different computer...and it worked fine. Just having a problem when trying to set up on this computer. Since there's nothing on the hard drive that I need, I think maybe just fdisking again and starting from scratch would be the way to go here. However, I'd still like to find out what happened here and what I can do the next time I'm in the same situation. I know I've read somewhere about just this problem, but I can't find it.......this may teach me to keep better notes...

Thanks raybro

Did you change the drive jumpers when you installed it? You also have to change the jumpers on the exiasting drives that are on the same cable as the one you added. The BIOS also has to recognize that a new drive has been installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online