1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

renaming files in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobbee, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbee

bobbee Thread Starter

When I rename a file in XP, right click - rename
    the extension doesn't change.

i.e. renaming test.text to be .dat becomes test.dat.txt

How can I quickly change the entire name and extension ?
    I have been going to DOS to rename it.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

do you have on a right click the option to "open with"? If so...choose .dat association

If not... highlight & then hold down the shift key down & right click & choose "open with"

3. bobbee

bobbee Thread Starter

I just want to rename it, not necessarily a match to an 'open with option'. i.e. rename to test.d22 or test.dat or test.exe

4. MelissaV

MelissaV

When you try to rename the file, is the file extension showing?
    For example, if you are trying to rename the file test.txt is the filename displayed as "test" or "test.txt" ?

I think you should try this. Open up Windows Explorer and go the file which you would like to rename. On the Menu Bar go to Tools, Folder Options, then the View tab, and look for the option that says "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck that box. This will allow you to right click the file and rename it with a new extension.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice