Renaming Files when things aren't working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wumply

Trying to get a program FREEPDFXP to work the other day I arrived at 1 point viewing the procedure below. It came from a Eudora Help page. My question, however, has to do not with getting FREEPDFXP working but with the reasons behind the instructions in the Help file.

Re Step #2. If you rename those files how is whichever program that might need them going to find them?

Also re Step #2, how does renaming a file correct a problem? I've run into this more than once. (I wish I could specify a particular problem where the solution says "rename a file" but I don't have one at the moment.)
--------------------------------------
MAPI is not working
Document ID: 2048HQ

ISSUE:

MAPI doesn't work. I can't install MAPI, when I double click on the icon, nothing happens. If I set Eudora's MAPI options to always, nothing happens.

SOLUTION:

You may have a few corrupt MAPI files on your computer. Your best option is to rename the Windows MAPI dll files. NOTE: You might need to reinstall any programs you have that are currently using MAPI as well.

1. The first thing you need to do is close down all applications.
2. Search your hard drive for the following files and rename them.

mapi.dll

mapi32.dll

3. Restart your computer.

4. Search your hard drive for the file swmapi.exe. Double click to install it.

5. Open Eudora, go to Tools: Options: MAPI, Set "Use Eudora MAPI server: Always".

6. Reinstall EIS, and perform a HotSync.

NOTE: If you cannot see your HotSync Conduit, you will need to do the following. Close all open windows, search your hard drive for the file called win.ini. Open it, and add the following lines:

[MAIL]

mapi=1

mapix=1

Restart your computer and perform a HotSync again.

The answer is in the listed process you give.

Once the MAPI files were renamed, running "swmapi.exe" installs Eudoras versions of the MAPI files, which it could not do if the files of that name already existed.

Generically speaking, installer programs often will not install a file (even if its a newer and required version) if a file of the same name exists, hence the renaming.

wumply

Appreciate your answer. Understanding is very satisfying.

I have another question if I may ask. I ran into this message recently: "Can't find DLL entry point BMAPISendMail in Mapi32.dll."

Wfhat exactly IS an entry point? Is it some line of code or an instruction that has to be in a program or process...whatever...before it can be accessed by an application? In which case the applicationn would have to KNOW to look for that specific instruction, yes?

A Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file is a software routine that is, as the name implies, a library of processes.

Just as in a book you can open it and only read one chapter in the middle of the book, so can software that depends on the DLL open it and execute some code at a specific point.

Where it opens it (enters the DLL) is the "entry point".

If the wrong version of the DLL is installed, the "entry point" (chapter in the book) may not exist. Usually the case where an earlier version of the DLL has been installed when the program expects the later one, the earlier one did not have the appropriate "chapter" in it.

wumply

kiwiguy OR anyone:

OK. So "installer programs generally cannot install a file if a file of the same name exists." I see that. So we rename and then--in this instance-- swmapi.exe can install its Eudora versions of MAPI. What I don't yet get, however, is this: How can these renamed files be referenced by another program if they have a new name? Or do the MAPI files not ever have to be referenced by another program--as I'm beginning to suspect?

IF my suspicion is correct, then clearly many files cannot have their names changed. Am I correct?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!