1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renaming files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beim4, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beim4

beim4 Thread Starter

When I rename a file on my computer, I just have to type in the name only and the extension (file type) is maintained. However, another employee in our office has to actually type in the new name with the extension. I'm thinking they must have something set differently somewhere in Windows XP. Can anyone help?

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

so on one computer do you actually see the file extension like: .xxx ( with DOT) and the other doesn't?

open a folder and go tools/folder options> view tab....compare the option..."Hide extensions for known file types"

3. beim4

beim4 Thread Starter

No - that's not it. Her computer does display the extensions. It's just that when she tried to rename a file, she has to type in everything - for example: testfile.pdf

On my computer, I can just type testfile, and it will retain the pdf extension of the original filename.

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

doesn't make sense, I have my folder settings set to show file extensions...when i choose to rename a file either by right click menu or clicking the name once...it highlights the name and extension, I either have to retype the whole thing or just edit the portion before the extension by clicking a second time to put the cursor inside? To hide the extension is what protects people from messing up their file extensions...?

Attached Files:

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I'm betting that beim4 is running Vista -- Unlike XP, when renaming files in Vista, it excludes the extension. They changed this to keep people from accidentally changing the extension if the system is set to display them.
    On XP the only workaround is to hide extensions, or un-highlight the extension, or type the whole thing.

HTH

Jerry

6. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Vista still has folder options to hide or unhide the extensions, Vista hides Tools menu ( which contains folder options) by default.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

True, but even with extensions being displayed, Vista does not highlight the extension when you hit F2 to rename a file, or click a selected file. It only highlights the name.

Attached Files:

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I like that...it's an improvement!

9. devil_himself

devil_himself

10. beim4

beim4 Thread Starter

Figured it out. It was the View of that particular window. After I checked the "hide extensions" settings, I thought about it later - she had that window set to display details, rather than show just icons. Feel kinda dumb! But that was the difference. When I changed it to show icons, like my computer, then I could rename the file typing in only the filename w/o the extension.

Solved!

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Strange, even in Icons view on my XP system I still have to type the extension, but hey if it works for you, that's all that matters.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

Jerry

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice