1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renaming Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

hi,

I have just installed a new harddrive and XP onto that harddrive. However the names of the drives have become mixed up - The drive on which the OS is installed is now e:\ and my spare drive is c:\

Is there anyway to change this? Will it have problems for programs who paths read e/c?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Where about on the IDE cable is the HDD with the Operating System on......

3. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

The harddrive with the OS installed is a SATA harddrive, the secondary IDE harddrive is simply storage (however it is on the first connection of the IDE cable)

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Change it over to the first connection and it will change the drive letter to C:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, it's not nearly that simple. The drive letter of the Windows installation is very difficult to change, especially when there are a lot of applications installed. If you installed Windows on the E: drive, it's there for the duration. To move it to C:, you'll have to re-install it.

You need to setup the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the boot drive is the SATA drive, right now your Windows boot files are on the IDE most likely.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Oh.....if only things were simple.....

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

John is correct. While it is possible to change a system drive letter, it is a complex process AND most [if not all] apps will need to be reinstalled anyway.

This is because when you install an app, it installs files to its own folder and to the windows and or windows\system32 folder. When you change the drive letter from E to C, the app looks for the files on "E" and you have changed it to C.

There is nothing that says the system drive "must" be C. If you really really want to change it, I would do a clean install with just the one hd connected. Make sure any card reader, zip drive, external drive, etc is disconnected for the install. Reconnect them once you have finished; the os will assign the next available drive letter.

8. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hmm ok, sounds like too much difficulty right now.

To be honest reading about Vista recently i'm very interested in buying it - may do that this week. If I do to make sure this problem doesnt occur again I should just uninstall the IDE cable whilst installing windows yes?

cheers for help.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You want to also remember that anytime that Windows is installed on a drive other than the primary boot drive, it puts it's boot files on the primary boot drive. In your case, that means if you were to format drive C:, Windows would cease to boot.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice