1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renaming operating systems at boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MikeDanDave75, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeDanDave75

MikeDanDave75 Thread Starter

I just created several partitions on a hard drive that i use for different purposes. However, they are all Windows xp home edition. So when i start the computer, and it asks me to select an operating system to use, all 3 say Windows XP home edition, and i do not know which one to pick!

Is there any way to rename them?

2. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    :D Welcome to TSG, Pardon me for laughing..

Searched this information for you :D

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

When you reboot, if your boot loader was messed up, pop in the acronis rescue CD, and let it re-install the O.S selector. After it does that, you should have three O.S's in the menu "Windows XP" and Other Opearting System. Now use the same rescue CD, or boot into XP, and start the Acronis Disk Director utility. Make sure you select 'manual mode' when it asks. Now right click your OSx86 partition and make it a primary partition. Reboot, and when the OS selector starts, right click your O.S partition, click on properties, check your O.S partition and make it active. Now you can boot into both XP and other O.S You may also rename your O.S to anything you'd like. Just right click it in the OS selector and hit rename.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

4. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    To do that, i recommended you do a system restore (save) and backup your important data. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!