1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Renaming XP installation?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackKat, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackKat

BlackKat Thread Starter

Hi guys
    Apologies for asking this as I'm sure it's been dealt with before, but I couldn't find the right keywords to get answers on searching :(.

I'm in the process of clearing off a 2ndhand laptop I bought on Ebay in order to give it away - however, I've had it so long & have moved on a fair bit so no longer have the XP disc to reinstall XP on it.

What I really want to do is to remove my name from the installation (so it shows up as "BlackKats" documents, & in D&S Users etc).

I know it's linked in to the installation hence my concern - that unless I can reinstall XP afresh, I'll not be able to get it changed? I'd just prefer for the new user not to know my name as it's rather unusual & identifiable, and this is being provided as a church donation to someone in my community. It's not because I worry they'll be annoying me over any probs with it, but rather that the point is to make it an anonymous donation if that makes sense.

SO wondering if anyone's any suggestions of how to hack the Registry if required to fix this?

Thanks
    Kat.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. BlackKat

BlackKat Thread Starter

Oh DUHHHH Thanks SO much Mark - I absolutely should have remembered that from years back, but for the life of me couldn't think of any other way than reinstalling. So stupid :(. But thanks for your patience and willingness to answer as otherwise I'd have been tearing my hair out. TRULY appreciated. :) :)

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice