Reorder the OS Sequence...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Helpr

Hey Everyone!

Okay, first let me explain the problem, then what I tried to do to solve it.

I just reformatted my computer, which went fine and dandy (as always). I retrieved a 40 GB harddrive (IDE, Western Digital) to put into my computer as a secondary (slave, whatever) harddrive because the motherboard I currently have supports dual harddrives.

Either way, instead of downloading Partition Magic or something like that, I instead installed Windows XP Pro on this 40 Gig 'monster' (by deleting all of the old partitions, this is the only way at the time I could do it -- by running Windows XP Pro setup) and then just formatting it by starting my computer with my good harddrive and just formatting it (in Windows, it is showing up as label "D:\" drive)

Okay, so my problem? Well, now, after I restarted my computer after I reformatted the 40-gig, the screen with the operating systems comes up. And I, knowing that there is only one operating system, I choose the first one (the default) and it immidiately goes into an error screen in which there isn't a certain DLL file on the 40-gig, when I know there isn't because there isn't an OPERATING SYSTEM on the damned thing.

Okay, my question? How in the hell do I remove that operating system from the list, and instead just have the one operating system (which is my normal, better, gooder one -- whichever) so that Windows will not stay on that stupid 'Choose The Operating System...' screen for 30 seconds and then have the bad one as the default!

I've tried everything from disconnecting the harddrive altogether to get it off the list, but it is still there...

Argh.

Please help me, anyone! ;)

Try this first:
Start, run then type in msconfig and hit ok. click on the boot.ini tab. You should be showing 2 entries under the operating systems section in that window. Click the "check all boot paths" button and see if one of the OS goes away. While you're in here go ahead and set the timeout value to 3 for fast loading.
If that doesn't work then go here to get instructions on how to edit it and delete the operating system off of it that you don't want:
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337

Helpr

Oye I'm such a dork.

Yeah I was looking for like 40 minutes for that stupid boot.ini file, and I couldn't find it ANYWHERE!! I mean, I KNEW that there was a place that you could mess with the boot sequence order...

I just forgot it was integrated 'msconfig', something I use almost on a daily basis.

Wow I'm a dork. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online