1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jacobt, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacobt

jacobt Thread Starter

Hi all. I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on. I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista. Model is Toshiba Satellite #A205-S7464. I have been trying to load it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs. I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty, hence the dual boot. So far, I have been able to partition and install XP SP-2 to a partition. I've booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available. I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted.
    So to repair this, what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the 'startup repair' option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus, enable dual booting. When I rebooted I got a black screen saying 'Invalid Partition Table' or something to this effect. I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be pretty much totally fruitless. So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again, to my other drive partition I had created. So I am basically where I started. I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of, or to boot into. Any ideas would be enormously appreciated. Attached I will include a visual of what's up with my hard drive situation.

Thank you, Jacob

Also, I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t181550.html

These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer

Attached Files:

2. jacobt

jacobt Thread Starter

bump

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice