repair gone bad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrhyde4

hello,
i am in the middle of a repair install with windows xp pro. it will not read the disc about half way through the process, and won't complete the installation. now every time i reboot it restarts the installation that i can't complete.

is there a way to go back to before i started the repair install? i thought of using the system restore, but when i start in safe mode it says setup cannot complete in safe mode, computer will reboot.

the problems in the original installation were minimal, so i would like to go back to it, especially since the cd rom won't read my disc.

anybody know how to terminate the repair installation, and leave it the way it was before is started?

Make sure all external devices are disconnected from the machine, it may be stopping at the stage where it is detecting hardware.

Can you borrow another xp disc or make sure yours is free of scratches etc and try to continue the repair install ?

If you don't have any files that you need to keep, you may need to format and start again.
Although it would seem there may be a problem with your XP Disc.
Try using another CD drive if you have access to one.

mrhyde4

well, i have tried different discs, the original problem though was that the cd rom showed up in the bios, but not my computer, i've fixed this before by repairing the windows installation, this time though it royally messed me up.

i think the problem is with the cd rom, not the disc. Unfortunaltely it's also a laptop, so i can't just swap out the cd drive for another one. that's why i need to go back to where it was originally. should've followed my own advice about always making a backup before doing major stuff like this.

thanks for the idea, any others?

If there is a certain file its saying it cant find its often time the cd. However if you have access to a usb floppy drive or there is one internally in the laptop. Try copying the file to the floppy (if it will fit) otherwise try a thumb drive. Though im not quite sure if thumb drives will be detected during an install. An external drive would probably be your best test of your cd rom functionality.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online