1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repair IE8?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DCM1519, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

My Internet 8 has been so slow for months that most times, it appears that the computer has frozen between every entry I make. It used to run much better.

I tried for months to repair this thing and was never able to do it. Microsoft does not allow a download of IE8 unless you are using some other version. Their repair instructions did not help.

Finally, I got sick of it and started looking for options.

Internet Explore 9 is OK but still a very slow program. No where near as bad as IE8 but still slower than other programs.

Foxfire is much faster but I like the favorites in IE 8 better. Overall, it is still a better choice that IE 8 though.

Opera is great but I do not like it's bookmarks as well as IE8 either. I would use it anyway but RoboForm does not work with this programs.

Is there a way to repair IE8?

2. Hughv

Hughv

IE 8 problems are often related to add ons.
    Start selectively disabling add ons and you may find the one(s) causing the problem.
    Tools/Manage add ons.

3. raybro

raybro

I suggest Firefox v3.5.13. I, too, use Roboform and it works great with the Roboform Toolbar add on from the Roboform site. Firefox also has an IE plug in that allows one to use FF with sites that normally require IE (like Windows Update). The only downside to FF is the delay between launch and display of the web page. Got past that with a little program called Firefox Preloader from sourceforge.

Raybro

4. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I looked at my Add-Ins again and it was loaded with them. I removed every one of them and the system appears to be running better.

Next, I am going to find that FireFox PreLoader and install it. I am getting more comfortable with FireFox and Opera and if IE8 does not improve drastically in the next day or two, will force myself to go exclusively to the other options.

Thanks again

5. raybro

raybro

Something to know about Firefox Preloader.

You must disable it before you do an update of anything for Firefox. Right-click the systray icon and select "Unload Firefox Preloader". You will have to manually restart Preloader or do a system reboot to get it back.

Download Firefox Preloader here.

Raybro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice