1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

repair install XP -- no mouse or keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HelpMe1777, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelpMe1777

HelpMe1777 Thread Starter

Hi i am trying to do a repair install for windows XP

I have a message come up that says VIAAGP1.sys is required please type in the path and click ok.

This is good and i know where the file is but....

My keyboard and mouse do not work so i cannot click or type in the box

the keyboard and mouse are ps2 and works in the BIOS but as soon as windows starts they stop responding..

i cannot progress with the repair install with this problem...

I have tried putting the driver disc in but the message still pops up..

Thank You
    Ant

Ps: i have tried usb keyboard and mouse and they do the same : working in the BIOS but when windows starts both stop responding

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll need to use a PS/2 kb and mouse for that part of the installation.

The VIAAGP1.sys driver is part of the VIA chipset package and is not really needed to finish the setup. You can install the Hyperion platform driver for VIA once XP is all installed.

3. HelpMe1777

how can i stop the box from coming up ... or cancel it .. because mouse and keboard are not responding ...

Also any ideas why the keyboard works in BIOS then doesnt work in windows ?

4. HelpMe1777

HELLO ? ? ?:confused:

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you try a PS/2 keyboard?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. HelpMe1777

8. HelpMe1777

doublehelix

i looked at that post but it did not help much because i cannot click or type.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dont know why this happens because apparently any keyboard should work in the repair process.... also i am pretty sure that it is not a hardware faliure because they were working before... also i have tried both keyboard and mouse in another computer and they work...

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You must be able to type at some point to get at least partway through a repair. When exactly do the input devices stop working? You may need to create a slipstreamed Windows XP install disk that includes these drivers. Have you ever installed Windows on this computer before? Can you access the BIOS?

10. HelpMe1777

i can type to press r to repair F8 to agree etc then the repair says installing devices and does everything on its own without me needing to touch mouse or keyboard.. then when the box pops up or it asks me to type anything then the keyboard is not working...

This copy of windows was already on the computer when i brought it so no i have not installed windows before on the machine

I can get into the BIOS.

ok. how do i do this...

Thank you

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you try a USB keyboard? Maybe the board doesn't like the old technology.

12. HelpMe1777

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you using the restore/recovery disks that came with the computer?
    Or is this a retail version of Windows?

The hardware appears to be fine, so there must be something about the Windows install and/or drivers that isn't working well.

Slipstreaming isn't easy or intuitive, and I doubt I could step you through each little part.

I used a program called nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) to slipstream SATA controller drivers for Windows XP.

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is in your situation. Eventually it comes down to how much time you want to put into this or if you want to hire someone to fix it for you.

14. Metralha33

Metralha33

Did you found any solution to this?

15. XFalloutX

XFalloutX

I just want to let everyone know that after running around with the same problem after two days I figured out what it was. I was trying to do a repair on a XP machine and the keyboard and mouse did not work.

I found out that the standard PS2 keyboard and mouse drivers are located at
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdclass.sys
    You probably also need
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\mouclass.sys

The computer I was having problems with did not have any of these files in that location so I hooked the hard drive to another working XP machine and copyed those files and now the keyboard and mouse works.

I hope this helps someone else.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!