repair install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redcivic

Okay, so I bought a new computer from a local builder. I tried to install xp pro and recieved a few syntax errors the first couple of times I tried to install (very weird). Then when I tried to format the hard drive it said it could not format. So I wiped the hard drive clean by booting from a ubuntu live cd and then formatted the drive using it's built in disk manager. Then I tried to reinstall xp pro formatting the drive back to ntfs and everything worked great. Then after I am finished installing xp pro I commence to installing the updates, office, etc. Then all of the sudden I cannot browse the network. I can get online to the internet but not browse the network. I reconfigure tcpip go through the networking steps and I still cannot get to the computers on my network. I can ping them but I cannot see them through net neighborhood. Then I start getting pop ups that all these dll files are corrupt (msgmsg.exe, etc.) and it is telling me to run chkdsk. So I run chldsk and it finds and repairs all these errors. I boot the machine back up and now I am getting the same errors again. So I download hdtune and run an error check. It finds all the damaged blocks on the hard drive. Also hdtune is teling me that the drive is running at 111 degrees. So pretty much the drive is bad right?

If you ran the hard drive diagnostics from the manufactures site and found problems then yes I would say that the drive is bad. Save a record of the diagnostic and show it to the place that you got the computer from they’ll most likely replace the drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts