Repair Windows 10 on non-boot drive

penicillin.g

Tl;Dr: can I repair a windows 10 installation on G: although I've obviously booted with a Windows 10 installation on C:?

Blue screen of death. Auto repair didn't work. Was able to use thumb drive to get to command prompt. Chkdsk repaired a few places. Tried SFC, didn't work, bootrec didn't even recognize a windows installation. Manually replaced files in c:\Windows\System32\Config, no joy.

Switched my HDD and SSD SATA cables and installed windows 10 fresh on my SSD, files fine on my HDD.

Can I repair my HDD's windows installation without wiping the drive? Setup.exe does not allow for this as far as I can tell.

Unplug whichever Windows drive that you don't want to use/repair. Then boot the Windows setup DVD/USB.

penicillin.g

Unplug whichever Windows drive that you don't want to use/repair. Then boot the Windows setup DVD/USB.
Problem is, that only works for a fresh install. I was hoping to keep my applications and files intact, not have to download and reinstall everything.

Forgot to say: After you unplug the drive without Windows and insert Windows setup DVD/USB. Boot with the DVD/USB , and choose Repair on second page.

Why do have 2 Windows folders anyways? One on C and one on G?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online