Repair Windows Xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

THE LOCKER

Hi all,

There seems to be several problems with my computer at the moment.

Notepad has gone missing, thecomputer is running sluggishly (I have checked for viruses, Spyware ect and run defrag) and desite loads of earlier dates System Restore goes through the motions and then tells me that it is not possible to restore to any of them.

I am guessing that my windows Xp is corrupted. Because i dont want the hassle of re-loading all my other programs and files, is there a safe way to repair windows Xp rather than completely reinstalling it?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

dave

It sounds like you have a load of malware on your computer. How did you check for viruses?
Doing an XP repair won't help if you have crud on the computer. If you are sure it's clean then an XP pepair just might solve the problem.

THE LOCKER said:
Hi all,
.. is there a safe way to repair windows Xp rather than completely reinstalling it?
dave
Yes, there is. You can do a repair install of Windows. It can be a bit confusing. Boot from your Windows CD just as if you were going to do an complete install. When you get to the screen asking if you want to to repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS!. Keep going past that screen. After setup finds an existing Windows installation, it will ask if you want to install on another partition or repair the existing one. That is when you say yes to the repair. It will then run through what looks like a full install but at the end, your exisiting installation, and your programs, will all be intact.

Another gotcha, this will replace a bunch of files with the version on your CD. These are probably not the latest versions. In fact, you will probably be at the SP1 or lower level, depending on your install CD. Run Windows Update immediately after the repair.

More info can be found here:
How to Perform a Repair Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online