Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repairing damaged k/b PS/2 port...

978 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have found that somehow an object got into the "square pin" hole of the ps/2 port for the k/b on my PC, thus now I cannot plug in my keyboard. I have no idea where this object came from. The pins on the k/b cable itself are not damaged. Anyway, does anyone know of a way to maybe fix this? This is more frustrating then anything else, but I would like to fix if possible. I am thinking as going as far as replacing the port, but not really wild about taking it off of the MB and then having to re-solder the ground. It's an HP 502n if that helps at all.

Basically looking for thoughts and suggestions

TIA

#4 ·
Two tugs, thanks for the link. I will try some of those before resorting to breaking off the pin on the k/b cable. The best idea that I came up with was putting a drop of super glue on the tip of a paper clip and trying to adhere it to the obstruction, but I couldn't get a strong enought bond.

Thanks for that input Firah, I never thought about it, but I guess you are right, that pin wouldn't be "conducting" anything.

#5 ·
If it were my MB, I'd remove the pin stuck in there. The best way is with a very small drill, then screw a tiny screw into it and pull it out. Breaking the KB connector to match another broken connector doesn't seem like the right way to fix this. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Thanks for your input johnwill and firah for verifying why you woudl recommend this. It is going to be a last resort. Logic being that the port is shot anyway, what harm am I going to do?

twotugs, I didn't notice your comment about the ps/2 to usb adapter. Here is the deal with that. The computer is an HP 502n and has one of those fancy keyboards with all the extra buttons. Anyway, I use a MS Natural at work. The Natural came with a PS/2 to UPS connector. I tried using it and Win XP came back with an "Unknown Device" on the USB hub error. I am hesitant to get a different one, as it would have to be by mail order. If it doesn't work, I am out the money for it, and/or shipping and handling on a $10 item.

#8 ·
I just prefer to fix the real problem and not break something else in the attempt to come up with a quick fix to a problem. Also, in looking at a keyboard connector, a plastic pin broken off inside doesn't seem to be that much of a challenge to remove, so that's what I'd do.

Perhaps my toolbox is better stocked than the average person's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.