Repairing Dell Laptop Power Lead

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

leachim

The dog chewed the lead before the tip that goes into the laptop

I am cutting out the bad bit and resoldering it together.

Found there are 3 cores - earth sheath - voltage wire and in the middle of that, another small insulated cable

I don't know what this bit does - is it important to join this also ?

Thanks

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
leachim, I don't know the answer to your question.
However, I would strongly advise you to simply replace the power cable. If you make a mistake, or if your dog did damage you haven't detected, it could become a serious hazard (perhaps a fire risk or a risk of damage toward your laptop.)
A new adapter is much cheaper than the kind of damage you'd risk causing.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Dell power adapters have three wires which are 19 VDC (about), GROUND, and a status wire that tells the laptop there is a Dell compatible charger connected. Without all three wires connected, the laptop won't charge the battery.

leachim

Thanks anyway

The middle core may be something to do with a feedback system telling the laptop whether it was the correct power supply or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online