Repairing Disk Errors

Jadeish

Good evening,

I have a desktop PC running Windows 8.1. I cannot get it to start up properly - it keeps saying repairing disk errors. I've tried absolutely everything I've found online, to no avail. I still have the original installation disk and product key, so I'm hoping that it will be fixed by re-installing windows.

However, I have a number of documents on the computer I've not saved elsewhere that I'd like to save. Is there a way to save all the documents before re-installing? I have an external hard drive.

Thank you

crjdriver

I have a number of documents on the computer I've not saved elsewhere
First thing to do is pull the drive out and connect it to a working system. See if you can access your files and save them. Other option is to boot the problem system with a linux live usb and again see if you can mount/access your files.
Once the data files are safe, then test the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic.

plodr

Liz
I'm hoping that it will be fixed by re-installing windows.
Don't do that.
Disk errors are hardware failing. Trying a software fix, reinstalling Windows, can never fix a hardware problem.
Example: the engine in your car starts acting strange. Getting new windshield wipers won't fix the engine problem.

The solution to disk errors is to replace the hard drive.
You grab the files you can, while you can while the drive still spins up. Then you be sure to always put a spare copy of important files, pictures, photos and music off the computer on another storage device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online