1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Repairing Molex connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtVandalay, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

A couple of wires have become disconnected from the molex 4-pin connectors that connect the HDDs to the motherboard.
    There are two wires for each connecting terminal pin, so would I use a soldering tool or a crimp tool to attach the wires?

Are there any kits available that I can use to repair/reconnect the wires?
    If not, what combination of tools & products do I need??

Thanks -

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

The only 4 pin connectors I know of that are used with hard disk drives are used to connect the hard drive to the computer's power supply, not the motherboard. Does your damaged connector look like this?

http://www.izdir.com/electronic_work/article2/113_1304.JPG

If so, see if the power supply has any extra unused connectors.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Most Molex connector pins are crimped to the wire. While it would be possible to solder them on you would have to be careful when soldering that you do not make a solid plug of solder so that the pin on the hard drive cannot slide into the socket freely and completely. Antec provides add on Molex connectors in some of thier cable kits for modular power supplies you may be able to use somthing along those lines. Here is a place to order the connectors. You can also get the pin extractor and crimper. http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would just get a new molex connector, and splice the wires on it and the wires leading from the power supply--seems the easiest.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Although it pains me to say it, I think Mulder's solution is probably the best one. ;)

While Molex connectors are easy to deal with with the right crimping tool, you need the tool, and the uncrimped pins. OTOH, splicing wires is within the reach of anyone with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, even Mulder. :p

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I also agree with Mulder. THat would be the simplest. I would make sure to use Heat shrink tubing instead of the Electrical tape I just cleaned out of a friends computer after a wire repair he did. THere wasnt even any solder. Just the wires Western Union spliced.

7. brite750

brite750

if you are talking about the front panel connectors, the really small molex connectors they are attached with needle nose pliers, there are 2 parts the metal part and the plastic part, the wire ends go into the metal part, are crimped on and then pop into the plastic part, the are very similar to the larger molex used on the psu to connect drives, etc, except you do not need a special tool, if you look really hard on the plastic plug part you will see a tiny lock on the side, you lift that up and it realeases the metal part that the wire is attached to.

8. brite750

brite750

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think he's talking about the Molex connectors that connect power to disk drives.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I figured ArtVandalay was talking about the power connector for the drive. I just never saw one on a cable coming from a motherboard. :confused:

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I feel your pain!!!

12. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

1) Thanks to all for your replies,
    2) Sorry to be the cause of some confusion -- I was/am referring to the connectors from the HDDs to the power supply.

The molex connector is the one shown in cwwozniak's link, only there are 2 wires for each terminal.
    I searched 5 computer electronics stores in my area before I was able to find a male 4-pin terminal with the interlocking connectors, only to find that the terminals are slightly (.093") too big & will not fit into the female terminals.
    The obvious solution then would be to get the matching female 4-pin receptacles, but that means I would have to disconnect (rip-out?) an additional 4 pairs of wires & re-crimp/solder them -- I'm quite familiar with the inside of a PC case (believe it or not), but I'm not comfortable with doing re-wiring to this extent.

Should I look online for specialty stores that carry pin terminals that are < .093" ? :confused: :confused:

Thanks yet again.... (y)

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You may want to check any local store that sell computer parts. They may sell power splitter cables that have one female socket and two male plugs. You may be able to cut the pieces apart, strip the wire ends and then solder them to the power supply's cable. I remember finding these splitters coming with some hard drive or optical drives I purchased a while ago.

Reference Photo of Splitter:
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/ShoppingCart/Images/Cables/splitter_005.jpg

You mention that each pin on the damaged plug has two wires. I assume one set of wires goes to the power supply. Do the other set just go to another identical plug?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That is a picture of One male to two female connectors. The pins inside are what determine the gender of these plugs. But that would be the correct adapter to start with.

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I've been working in various electronics fields for 30+ years and I am still having problems trying to keep straight what to call a connector with male contacts inside of a female housing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice